We are following up the Southall and Brent cohort – the largest tri-ethnic population-based cohort in the UK. The participants were aged 40-69 when first studied between 1989 and 1991. The focus of the study was ethnic differences in cardiometabolic … Continue reading
Since the baseline data collection, deaths have been flagged by the Office for National Statistics and we have collected data regarding non-fatal coronary and stroke events during 20 years of follow-up to 2011.
Coronary heart disease events occurred in 1256(30%) participants, of these 86% were first-ever events. Fatal Coronary heart disease was the first recorded follow-up event in 159 participants. Indian Asians were most (Hazard ratio(HR): 1.7), and African Caribbeans least(HR:0.64), at risk of coronary events.
Stroke events occurred in 401 participants during follow-up, of which 371(93%) were first ever strokes. Fatal stroke was the first recorded follow-up event in 48 participants. African Caribbeans had the highest(HR:1.5) and Europeans(HR:1) the lowest rates of stroke.
Analyses of baseline characteristics as predictors of these events have indicated that diabetes and dysglycaemia are particularly toxic in South Asians and African Caribbeans in whom stroke was 2.5-3 times more likely to occur in association with diabetes compared with Europeans (References 17, 18, 24). This extra diabetes-related ‘toxicity’ was also present, but to a lesser extent for South Asians in association with incident coronary heart disease, in whom diabetes was associated with a 40% excess risk. Other measured baseline risk factors did not explain the ethnic differentials in stroke and coronary disease.
Further study of factors acting across the life course, together with genetic and epigenetic studies could elucidate mechanisms underlying ethnic differences and define key time points for preventive interventions. These findings suggest that early glycaemic control plus intervention to control blood pressure in these high risk populations may be paramount in the prevention of stroke and coronary heart disease.
Diabetes developed in 14% Europeans, 33% Indian Asians and 30% African Caribbeans between baseline (mean age:51.8±7.0) and follow-up (mean age:70.5±6.3). Mid-life measures of insulin resistance, and of upper body fat deposition, were already unfavourable in people who developed diabetes a decade or so later, and were more adverse in the ethnic minorities. Insulin resistance at baseline contributed most to explaining the ethnic minority excess of diabetes in both sexes. Of obesity measures, adjustment for truncal fat provided the most consistent and independent attenuation of the ethnic differentials in both sexes- indeed. adjustment for truncal fat largely explained the ethnic differential in diabetes incidence in women, but in men however, a two-fold excess risk of diabetes remained after adjustment for family history, conventional lifestyle and cardiometabolic risk factors. Our findings suggest that further study of risk factors throughout the life-course and/or a search for novel risk factors is required if we are to understand why ethnic minority groups are at such high risk of developing diabetes.
The Southall and Brent baseline studies were cross-sectional studies conducted between 1989 and 1991, at a time when the majority of first generation South Asian and African Caribbean migrants to the UK were entering middle age. The studies have generated a number of hypotheses regarding the causes of ethnic group differences in cardiovascular risk factors and the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease.
The baseline studies were the first to report the high prevalence of the insulin resistance or cardiometabolic syndrome in association with a striking tendency to central obesity in British South Asian migrants- these findings were common to Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims. These results suggested that insulin resistance is the underlying cause of their increased susceptibility to coronary heart disease and stroke (1,2).
African Caribbeans, on the other hand, were as dysglycaemic but less hyperinsulinaemic than South Asians. They were not centrally obese suggesting that the causes of diabetes in African Caribbeans may be different from those in South Asians and this might also explain why coronary heart disease mortality in African Caribbeans is low, despite the high prevalence of diabetes and hypertension (1,2). Their more favourable lipid profiles were thought to be related to body fat distribution (5).
Resting and ambulatory blood pressure recordings in a subgroup of Europeans and African Caribbeans, demonstrated that resting blood pressures were substantially higher in the African Caribbeans and that this may be enough to explain excess stroke mortality in African Caribbean women, but not in men. Smaller declines in nocturnal blood pressure may contribute to the excess of hypertensive target organ damage in African Caribbeans (3).
A presentation about some of these findings:Baseline findings presentation
Papers from SABRE V2 follow up (updated January 2019)
- C.H. Sudre, B. Gomez Anson, I. Davagnanam, A. Schmitt, A.F. Mendelson, F. Prados, L. Smith, D. Atkinson, A.D. Hughes, N. Chaturvedi, M.J. Cardoso, F. Barkhof, H.R. Jaeger, S. Ourselin. Bullseye’s representation of cerebral white matter hyperintensities. J Neuroradiol. 2018 Mar; 45(2): 114–122. doi: 10.1016/j.neurad.2017.10.001
- Siana Jones, Therese Tillin, Suzanne Williams, Emma Coady, Nishi Chaturvedi, Alun D. Hughes. Assessment of Exercise Capacity and Oxygen Consumption Using a 6 min Stepper Test in Older Adults. Front Physiol. 2017; 8: 408. Published online 2017 Jun 14. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00408
- Anna E. Leeuwis, Lorna A. Smith, Andrew Melbourne, Alun D. Hughes, Marcus Richards, Niels D. Prins, Magdalena Sokolska, David Atkinson, Therese Tillin, Hans R. Jäger, Nish Chaturvedi, Wiesje M. van der Flier, Frederik Barkhof. Cerebral Blood Flow and Cognitive Functioning in a Community-Based, Multi-Ethnic Cohort: The SABRE Study.
- Siana Jones, Therese Tillin, Suzanne Williams, Emma Coady, Nishi Chaturvedi and Alun D. Hughes. Assessment of Exercise Capacity and Oxygen Consumption Using a 6 min Stepper Test in Older Adults. Front. Physiol., 14 June 2017 doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00408
- Park CM, Williams ED, Chaturvedi N, Tillin T, Stewart RJ, Richards M, Shibata D5, Mayet J, Hughes AD.Associations Between Left Ventricular Dysfunction and Brain Structure and Function: Findings From the SABRE (Southall and Brent Revisited) Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017 Apr 18;6(4). pii: e004898. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.116.004898
- Dehbi HM, Blangiardo M, Gulliver J, Fecht D, de Hoogh K, Al-Kanaani Z, Tillin T, Hardy R, Chaturvedi N, Hansell AL. Air pollution and cardiovascular mortality with over 25years follow-up: A combined analysis of two British cohorts. Environ Int. 2016 Dec 7. pii: S0160-4120(16)30950-3. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2016.12.004. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lotta LA, Scott RA, Sharp SJ, Burgess S, Luan J, Tillin T, Schmidt AF, Imamura F, Stewart ID, Perry JR, Marney L, Koulman A, Karoly ED, Forouhi NG, Sjögren RJ, Näslund E, Zierath JR, Krook A, Savage DB, Griffin JL, Chaturvedi N, Hingorani AD, Khaw KT, Barroso I, McCarthy MI, O’Rahilly S, Wareham NJ, Langenberg C. Genetic Predisposition to an Impaired Metabolism of the Branched-Chain Amino Acids and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: A Mendelian Randomisation Analysis. PLoS Med. 2016 Nov 29;13(11):e1002179. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002179.
- Peter Würtz, Qin Wang, Pasi Soininen, Antti J. Kangas, Ghazaleh Fatemifar, Tuulia Tynkkynen, Mika Tiainen, Markus Perola, Therese Tillin, Alun D. Hughes, Pekka Mäntyselkä, Mika Kähönen, Terho Lehtimäki, Naveed Sattar, Aroon D. Hingorani, Juan-Pablo Casas, Veikko Salomaa, Mika Kivimäki, Marjo-Riitta Järvelin, George Davey Smith, Mauno Vanhala, Debbie A. Lawlor, Olli T. Raitakari, Nish Chaturvedi, Johannes Kettunen, Mika Ala-Korpela. Metabolomic Profiling of Statin Use and Genetic Inhibition of HMG-CoA Reductase. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016 March 15; 67(10): 1200–1210. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2015.12.060, PMCID: PMC4783625
- Park CM, Tillin T, Jones S, Whincup PH, Mayet J, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Adverse effect of diabetes and hyperglycaemia on arterial stiffness in Europeans, South Asians, and African Caribbeans in the SABRE study. J Hypertens. 2016 Feb; 34(2):282-9.
- Eastwood SV, Tillin T, Sattar N, Forouhi NG, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N. Associations Between Prediabetes, by Three Different Diagnostic Criteria, and Incident CVD Differ in South Asians and Europeans. Diabetes Care. 2015 Dec;38(12):2325-32. doi: 10.2337/dc15-1078. 2015 Dec;38(12):2325-32.
- Eastwood SV, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Ethnic Differences in Associations Between Blood Pressure and Stroke in South Asian and European Men. Hypertension. 2015 Sep;66(3):481-8. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.115.05672. Epub 2015 Jul 13.
- Eastwood SV, Tillin T, Mayet J, Shibata DK, Wright A, Heasman J, Beauchamp N, Forouhi NG, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N. Ethnic differences in cross-sectional associations between impaired glucose regulation, identified by oral glucose tolerance test or HbA1c values, and cardiovascular disease in a cohort of European and South Asian origin. Diabet Med. 2015 Aug 28. doi: 10.1111/dme.12895. [Epub ahead of print]
- T Tillin, AD Hughes, Q Wang, P Wurtz, M Ala-Korpela, N Sattar, NG Forouhi, IF Godsland, S Eastwood, PM McKeigue, N Chaturvedi. Diabetes risk and amino acid profiles: cross-sectional and prospective analyses of ethnicity, amino acids and diabetes in a South Asian and European cohort from the SABRE (Southall And Brent REvisited) Study. Diabetologia2015 May;58(5):968-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00125-015-3517-8
- Sophie V Eastwood, Therese Tillin, Hakim-Moulay Dehbi, Andrew Wright, Nita G Forouhi, Ian Godsland, Peter Whincup, Naveed Sattar, Alun D Hughes, Nishi Chaturvedi. Ethnic Differences in Associations Between Fat Deposition and Incident Diabetes and Underlying Mechanisms: The SABRE Study. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2015 March; 23(3): 699–706. Published online 2015 February 3. doi: 10.1002/oby.20997. PMCID: PMC4463764.
- Eriksen A, Tillin T, O’Connor L, Brage S, Hughes A, Mayet J, McKeigue P, Whincup P, Chaturvedi N, Forouhi NG. The Impact of Health Behaviours on Incident Cardiovascular Disease in Europeans and South Asians – A Prospective Analysis in the UK SABRE Study. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 2;10(3):e0117364. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0117364 . eCollection 2015.
- Eastwood SV, Tillin T, Dehbi HM, Wright A, Forouhi NG, Godsland I, Whincup P, Sattar N, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N. Ethnic differences in associations between fat deposition and incident diabetes and underlying mechanisms: The SABRE study. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015 Feb 3. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/oby.20997
- Williams ED, Tillin T, Richards M, Tuson C, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD, Stewart R. Depressive symptoms are doubled in older British South Asian and Black Caribbean people compared with Europeans: associations with excess co-morbidity and socioeconomic disadvantage. Psychol Med. 2015 Feb 13:1-11.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25677948 [Epub ahead of print]
- Williams ED, Eastwood SV, Tillin T, Stewart R, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Statin use is associated with reduced depressive symptoms in Europeans, but increased symptoms in ethnic minorities in UK: An observational study.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2015 Feb 2. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bcp.12599. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tillin T, Sattar N, Godsland IF, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N, Forouhi NG. Ethnicity-specific obesity cut-points in the development of type 2 diabetes – a
prospective study including three ethnic groups in the United Kingdom. Diabetic Medicine 2015 Feb;32(2):226-34
- Eastwood SV, Tillin T, Wright A, Mayet J, Godsland I, Forouhi NG, Whincup P, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi. Thigh fat and muscle each contribute to excess cardiometabolic risk in South Asians, independent of visceral adipose tissue. Obesity (Silver Spring). N. 2014 Sep;22(9):2071-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/oby.20796
- Williams ED, Eastwood SV, Tillin T, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N. The effects of weight and physical activity change over 20 years on later-life objective and self-reported disability. Int J Epidemiol. 2014 Feb 20. Epub ahead of print.
- Elliott HR, Tillin T, McArdle WL, Ho K, Duggirala A, Frayling TM, Davey Smith G, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N, Relton CL. Differences in smoking associated DNA methylation patterns in South Asians and Europeans. Clin Epigenetics. 2014. 2014 Feb 3;6(1):4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1868-7083-6-4
- Park CM, Korolkova O, Davies JE, Parker KH, Siggers JH, March K, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Arterial pressure: agreement between a brachial cuff-based device and radial tonometry. J Hypertens 2014 Apr;32(4):865-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0000000000000082
- Park CM, Tillin T, March K, Ghosh AK, Jones S, Wright A, Heasman J, Francis D, Sattar N, Mayet J, Chaturvedi N<, Hughes AD. Hyperglycaemia Has A Greater Impact On Left Ventricle Function In South Asians Than Europeans. Diabetes Care.2014 Apr;32(4):1124-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/dc13-1864. Epub 2013 Nov 15.
- Tillin T, Hughes AD, Whincup P, Mayet J, Sattar N, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N. Ethnicity and prediction of cardiovascular disease. Performance of QRISK2 and Framingham scores in a UK tri-ethnic prospective cohort study (SABRE: Southall and Brent Revisited). Heart. 2014 Jan;100(1):60-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2013-304474
- Eastwood SV, Tillin T, Wright A, Heasman J, Willis J, Godsland IF, Forouhi N, Whincup P, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N. Estimation of CT-Derived Abdominal Visceral and Subcutaneous Adipose Tissue Depots from Anthropometry in Europeans, South Asians and African Caribbeans. PLoS One. 2013 Sep 17;8(9):e75085. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0075085
- Shibata D, Tillin T, Beauchamp N, Heasman J, Hughes AD, Park C, Gedroyc W, Chaturvedi N. African Caribbeans have greater subclinical cerebrovascular disease than Europeans: this is associated with both their elevated resting and ambulatory blood pressure and their hyperglycaemia. J Hypertens.2013 Dec;31(12):2391-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0b013e328364f5bc
- Park CM, March K, Williams S, Kukadia S, Ghosh AK, Jones S, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Feasibility and reproducibility of left ventricular rotation by speckle tracking echocardiography in elderly individuals and the impact of different software. PLoS One. 2013 Sep 13;8(9):e75098. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0075098
- Taylor C , Tillin T, Chaturvedi N , Dewey M , Ferri CP, Hughes AD , Prince M, Richards M, Shah A , Stewart R . Mid-life hypertensive status and cognitive function 20 years later: the SABRE study. Journal of the American Geriatric Society. 2013 Sep;61(9):1489-98. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jgs.12416 .
- Park C, March K, Ghosh A, Jones S, Coady E, Tuson C, Baker M, Mayet J, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Left ventricular structure in the SABRE Study: Explaining ethnic differences. Hypertension, 2013 May;61(5):1014-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.111.00610
- Tillin T, Hughes AD, Mayet J, Whincup P, Sattar N, Forouhi NG, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N. The relationship between metabolic risk factors and incident cardiovascular disease in Europeans, South Asians and African Caribbeans. SABRE (Southall and Brent revisited) – a prospective population based study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Apr 30;61(17):1777-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2012.12.046
- Tillin T, Hughes AD, Godsland IF, Whincup P, Forouhi NG, Welsh P, Sattar N, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N. Insulin resistance and truncal obesity as important determinants of the greater incidence of diabetes in Indian Asians and African Caribbeans compared to Europeans? The Southall And Brent REvisited (SABRE) cohort. Diabetes Care 2013;36(2)(383-393). http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/2/383.long
- Williams ED, Tillin T, Whincup P, Forouhi N, Chaturvedi N. Ethnic differences in disability over 20 years: A cohort study. PLoS One 2012;7(9):e45602. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0045602
- Tillin T, Forouhi NG, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N. Southall And Brent REvisited: Cohort profile of SABRE, a UK population- based comparison of cardiovascular disease and diabetes in people of European, Indian Asian and African Caribbean origins. Int J Epidemiol 2012 November 1. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093%2Fije%2Fdyq175
- Tillin T, Forouhi NG, Davey-Smith G, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N. Cardiovascular Disease Mortality in Relation to Childhood and Adulthood Socio-Economic Markers in British South Asian Men. Heart 2008 April;94(4):476-81. http://heart.bmj.com/content/94/4/476.full?sid=69589b19-7212-4592-b38b-93994f452b9e http://dx.doi.org/10.1007%2Fs00125-005-1689-3
- Tillin T, Forouhi N, McKeigue P, Chaturvedi N. Microalbuminuria and coronary heart disease risk in an ethnically diverse UK population: a prospective cohort study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005; 16(12):3702-3710. http://dx.doi.org/10.1681%2FASN.2005060584
- Tillin T, Forouhi NG, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N. The Role of Diabetes and Components of the Metabolic Syndrome in Stroke and Coronary Heart Disease Mortality in U.K. White and African-Caribbean Populations. Diabetes Care 2006; 29(9):2127-2129. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337%2Fdc06-0779
- Forouhi NG, Sattar N, Tillin T, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N. Do known risk factors explain the higher coronary heart disease mortality in South Asian compared with European men? Prospective follow-up of the Southall and Brent studies, UK. Diabetologia 2006; 49:2580-2588. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007%2Fs00125-006-0393-2
Abstracts from SABRE follow up(updated May 2014)
- Southall and Brent Revisited (SABRE) cohort. Tillin T. Diabetes UK , Liverpool, March 2014.
- Total Arterial Elastance is more strongly associated with cardiovascular disease than carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity. Park C, March K, Ghosh A, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Artery 13, London October 2013.
- Ethnic differences in associations between carotid IMT, coronary artery calcification and cerebrovascular disease. A population based study of Europeans, South Asians and African Caribbeans(SABRE). Tillin T, March K, Heasman J, Park C, Beauchamp N, Shibata D, Wright A, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N. Artery 13, October 2013, London.
- Effect of diabetes and hyperglycaemia on the left ventricle – does it differ with ethnicity? Park CM, March K, Jones S, Tuson C, Ghosh AK, Coady E, Tillin T, Mayet J, Chaturvedi N , Hughes AD. European Association for the Study of Diabetes, Barcelona, September 2013
- Ethnic differences in associations between fat deposition and incident diabetes. Sophie Eastwood, Therese Tillin, Andrew Wright, John Heasman, Alun Hughes, Nish Chaturvedi. European Association for the Study of Diabetes, Barcelona, September 2013
- Ethnicity-specific obesity cut-points in the development of incident diabetes – a prospective study (SABRE) including three ethnic groups in the United Kingdom. Tillin T, Sattar N, Godsland IF, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N, Forouhi N. European Association for the Study of Diabetes, Barcelona, September 2013
- Pulse Pressure is more strongly associated with incident CHD in South Asians than in Europeans. Tillin T, Tuson C, Coady E, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. British Hypertension Society, London September 2013
- Ethnic differences in central haemodynamics and central arterial stiffness. Park C, March K, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. British Hypertension Society, London September 2013
- Greater Impact of hyperglycaemia on macrovascular function in South Asians than in Europeans. Could this contribute to their excess cardiovascular risk. Park C, March K, Tillin T, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N. FINNDIANE, Helsinki, June 2013
- Explanations for reduced left ventricle longitudinal function in South Asians. Park C, Ghosh A, Hughes A, Chaturvedi N. European Atherosclerosis Society, Lyon, June 2013
- Statin use is associated with depression in minority ethnic groups in UK. ED Williams, Stewart R, T Tillin, N Chaturvedi, AD Hughes. European Atherosclerosis Society, Lyon, June 2013
- Different associations between visceral and subcutaneous adiposity and coronary artery calcification. SV Eastwood, T Tillin, J Heasman, A Wright, AD Hughes, N Chaturvedi. European Atherosclerosis Society, Lyon, June 2013
- Peripheral blood pressure measurement underestimates central systolic blood pressure in obese individuals. Park C, March K, Tillin T, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N. European Society for Hypertension, Milan, June 2013
- Apolipoprotein B : A1 ratio is independently associated with sub-clinical and incident coronary heart disease in British South Asian and European men. Tillin T, Godsland I, Sattar N, Hughes A, Chaturvedi N. European Atherosclerosis Society, Lyon, June 2013
- Are ethnic differences in central pulse pressure explained by hyperglycaemia? Park CM, March K, Tillin T, Hughes AD, Chaturvedi N. European Atherosclerosis Society, Lyon, June 2013.
- Visceral adiposity in South Asians has a greater detrimental impact on cardiometabolic risk factors than Europeans. SV Eastwood, T Tillin, J Heasman, A Wright, AD Hughes, N Chaturvedi. Diabetes UK Manchester. March 2013
- Association between depression and health outcomes in people with type 2 diabetes: Do the relationships vary by ethnic group? ED Williams, T Tillin, N Chaturvedi, M Baker, R Stewart . Diabetes UK Manchester. March 2013
- Do risk factors measured 20 years previously predict and explain ethnic differences in HbA1c among non-diabetic British South Asians, African Caribbeans and Europeans? Tilln T, Hughes A, Godsland I, Tuson C, Sattar N, Chaturvedi N. Diabetes UK Manchester . March 2013.
- Ethnic differences in left ventricle structure- is 2D echocardiography misleading? Park CM, March K, Jones S, Ghosh AK, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Euroecho, Vienna, Nov 2012.
- Ethnic differences in left ventricle myocardial oxygen demand. Park C, Ghosh A, Tillin T, Hughes A, Chaturvedi N. Artery, Vienna Oct 2012.
- Ethnic differences in wave intensity and arterial stiffness in the carotid artery. Park C, March K, Tillin T, Hughes A, Chaturvedi N. Artery Vienna Oct 2012
- A method comparison of central blood pressure measurements by Pulsecor and Sphygmocor devices. Park C, Davies J, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. International Society of Hypertension , Sydney, 2012
- Ethnic differences in wave intensity and arterial stiffness in the carotid artery. Park C, March K, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Artery , Vienna, October 2012
- Increased left ventricular elastance at end-ejection is associated with lower arterial compliance and reduced ventricular relaxation. Reesink K, Park C, Davies J, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Artery , Vienna, October 2012
- Ethnic differences in Left Ventricular structure-is 2D echocardiography misleading? Park C, March K, Jones S, Mayet J, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. EuroEcho, Athens, 2012
- Ethnic differences in the development of disability over 20 years: Results from the SABRE study. Williams ED, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N. Society for Social Medicine, London Sept 2012
- Hyperglycaemia and diastolic function: does ethnicity matter? Park C, March K, Tillin T, Mayet J, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD . EuroEcho, Budapest Nov 2011
- Excess diabetes in ethnic minorities- incidence and predictors. Tillin T, Hughes AD, Whincup P, Forouhi N, Sattar N, McKeigue P, Chaturvedi N. European Association for the Study of Diabetes, Lisbon Sept 2011.
- Effect of diabetes and hyperglycaemia on the left ventricle -does it differ with ethnicity? Park C, March K, Tillin T, Mayet J, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD European Association for the Study of Diabetes, Lisbon Sept 2011
- Relation of Changes in Components of the Metabolic Syndrome to Changes in Fat Depots in a Cardiovascular Prevention Programme. Jenni S, Tillin T, March K, Tuson C, Park C, Baker M, Fitzpatrick J, Thomas E, Bell J, Connolly S, Wood D, Hughes A, Chaturvedi N. European Association for the Study of Diabetes, Lisbon Sept 2011
- Subclinical measures of atherosclerosis associate differently with prevalent coronary heart disease in Indian Asians and Europeans . Tillin T, Heasman J, Wright W, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Artery , Paris Sept 2011
- Despite higher rates of coronary heart disease in British Indian Asians, coronary artery calcification levels are equivalent to those of Europeans Tillin T, Heasman J, Wright W, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. European Society of Cardiology, Paris. August 2011
- Reproducibility of left ventricular rotation by speckle tracking on echocardiography and the impact of different software. Park C, March K, Ghosh AK, Jones S, Mayet J, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. European Society of Cardiology, Paris. August 2011
- Rapid reductions in left ventricular mass following a community based 12-week prevention programme are partially predicted by change in fat depots. Jenni S, Tillin T, Park C, Baker M, Thomas E, Bell J, Connolly S, Wood D, Hughes A, Chaturvedi N. European Society of Cardiology, Paris. August 2011
- Is speckle tracking echocardiography a valid tool to assess left ventricular rotation in elderly individuals? Park C, March K, Ghosh AK, Jones S, Mayet J, Tillin T, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Physiological fluid mechanics, Brunel, London. July 2011
Papers from baseline investigation
- McKeigue PM, Shah B, Marmot MG. Relation of central obesity and insulin resistance with high diabetes prevalence and cardiovascular risk in South Asians. Lancet 1991; 337:382-386. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016%2F0140-6736%2891%2991164-P
- Renges HH, Wile DB, McKeigue PM, Marmot MG, Humphries SE. Apolipoprotein B gene polymorphisms are associated with lipid levels in men of South Asian descent. Atheroscler 1991 December;91:267-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016%2F0021-9150%2891%2990174-2
- McKeigue PM, Pierpoint T, Ferrie JE, Marmot MG. Relationship of glucose intolerance and hyperinsulinaemia to body fat pattern in south Asians and Europeans. Diabetologia 1992; 35:785-791. http://www.springerlink.com/content/u06310270xkq4324/
- McKeigue PM, Ferrie JE, Pierpoint T, Marmot MG. Association of early-onset coronary heart disease in South Asian men with glucose intolerance and hyperinsulinemia. Circulation 1993 January;87:152-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161%2F01.CIR.87.1.152
- McKeigue PM, Laws A, Chen YD, Marmot MG, Reaven GM. Relation of plasma triglyceride and apoB levels to insulin-mediated suppression of nonesterified fatty acids. Possible explanation for sex differences in lipoprotein pattern. Arterioscler Thromb 1993 August;13:1187-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161%2F01.ATV.13.8.1187
- Chaturvedi N, McKeigue PM, Marmot MG. Resting and ambulatory blood pressure differences in Afro-Caribbeans and Europeans. Hypertension 1993; 22:90-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161%2F01.HYP.22.1.90
- Chaturvedi N, Athanassopoulos G, McKeigue PM, Marmot MG, Nihoyannopoulos P. Echocardiographic measures of left ventricular structure and their relation with rest and ambulatory blood pressure in blacks and whites in the United Kingdom. J Am Coll Cardiol 1994; 24:1499-1505. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016%2F0735-1097%2894%2990146-5
- Sevak L, McKeigue PM, Marmot MG. Relationship of hyperinsulinemia to dietary intake in south Asian and European men. Am J Clin Nutr 1994; 59:1069-1074. http://www.ajcn.org/content/59/5/1069.full.pdf+html?sid=3e56367a-5b0d-4de7-9038-17eaf141910a
- Chaturvedi N, McKeigue PM, Marmot MG. Relationship of glucose intolerance to coronary risk in Afro-Caribbeans compared with Europeans. Diabetologia 1994; 37:765-772. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007%2FBF00404333
- Sharp PS, Chaturvedi N, Wormald R, McKeigue PM, Marmot MG, Young SM. Hypertensive retinopathy in Afro-Caribbeans and Europeans. Prevalence and risk factor relationships. Hypertension 1995; 25:1322-1325. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161%2F01.HYP.25.6.1322
- Chaturvedi N, McKeigue P, Nihoyannopoulos P. Ethnic differences in left ventricular changes associated with blood glucose. Diabetic Med. 15 suppl 2, S53-S54. 1998. Ref Type: Abstract
- Pomerleau J, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N. Factors associated with obesity in South Asian, Afro-Caribbean and European women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1999 January;23(1):25-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038%2Fsj.ijo.0800750
- Pomerleau J, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N. Relationships of fasting and postload glucose levels to sex and alcohol consumption. Are American Diabetes Association criteria biased against detection of diabetes in women? Diabetes Care 1999; 22(3):430-433. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337%2Fdiacare.22.3.430
- Chaturvedi N, McKeigue PM, Marmot MG, Nihoyannopoulos P. A comparison of left ventricular abnormalities associated with glucose intolerance in African Caribbeans and Europeans in the UK. Heart 2001; 85:643-648. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136%2Fheart.85.6.643
- Tillin T, Forouhi N, Johnston DG, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N, Godsland IF. Metabolic syndrome and coronary heart disease in South Asians, African-Caribbeans and white Europeans: a UK population-based cross-sectional study. Diabetologia 2005; 48(4):649-656.
- Tillin T, Evans RM, Witt N, Sharp PS, McKeigue PM, Chaturvedi N, Hughes AD. Ethnic differences in retinal microvascular structure. Diabetologia 2008; 51: 1719-1722. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007%2Fs00125-008-1096-7